PROJECT TITLE: Curriculum Architecture Gap Analysis
Project completed September 2018
- PI: Dr. Chien-Chung Chan, Professor of Computer Science, University of Akron
- Co-PI: Dr. Chen Ling, Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering, University of Akron
- Students: Sai Prajeeth Annamgari
- FAA Sponsor: Greta Ballentine, Technical Training (AJI-2)
- FAA Technical Monitor: John Stillings
The objective of this study is use Artificial Intelligence (AI) methods to identify and measure the gap or redundancy in training curriculum by automatically analyzing information in curriculum materials using a data-driven approach, with minimum of human involvement.
There exist a large number of FAA training courses that provide training for different job tasks. Each job task may require the completion of several training courses, and each training course may provide support to several job tasks. Due to the large number of combinations of job tasks and training courses, it would be a tremendous effort to identify potential overlaps among topics covered by different courses for different job tasks.
Expected Project Outcomes:
- Understand FAA’s needs and obtain test data.
- Identify a data model derived from the Job Task Analysis and build a SQL database.
- Index descriptions of Job Tasks and provide natural language like queries.
- Index training course contents based on design guides, instructor guides, and course contents.
- Derive course similarity from integrated indices of the Job Tasks Analysis and training course contents.
- Build a prototype system for curriculum gap analysis.
Value of Research:
The system will allow users to search for what training courses are relevant to what job tasks, and what job tasks are covered by what training courses. The project will transform the existing training course contents and job tasks analysis into a repository searchable by Natural Language Processing (NLP) tools. Due to the large number of combinations of job tasks and training courses, it would be a valuable tool for identifying curriculum gaps among job tasks and training courses.
QUAD CHART AND TECHNICAL POSTERS:
Dr. C. C. Chan discusses the goals and value of the project.