PROJECT ID AND TITLE: SPTT002 – Explore Use of Gamification for Training
Project completed Sep. 2019
- PI: Dr. JoEllen M. Sefton, Associate Professor and ATC – Director of Warrior Research Center, Auburn University
- Co-PI: Dr. James Birdsong, Lecturer in Department of Systems and Technology, Auburn University
- Co-PI: Dr. Ana Franco-Watkins, Professor and Department Chair, Auburn University
- Co-PI: Dr. Danielle Wadsworth, Associate Professor, Auburn University
- Co-PI: Dr. James Witte, Professor of Adult Education, Auburn University
- Students: Mary Riley
- Industry Partner: Army Gaming Studio
- FAA Sponsor: Keith Deberry, Technical Training (AJI-2)
- FAA Technical Monitor: Carl Hayes
This project will model the application and impact of gamification, game-based learning (GBL), and simulation/virtual and augmented working environments (VR) to provide state-of-the-art training solutions to Aviation Safety Training.
Expected Project Outcomes:
- Complete a comprehensive review of current use of gaming/VR, virtual environments, task trainers and simulators in aviation safety training, in the civilian and military environments.
- Determine successful/unsuccessful components of gaming/VR use in training.
- Develop a prototype of a simulated work environment for a common training task.
- Develop assessment methods and outcomes for the prototype and for future gaming/VR training environments.
Value of Research:
This project will provide initial training, and improve knowledge, operational skills, and learning engagement in an environment of high diversity and turn over as well as rapidly changing requirements. The team will develop an aviation safety gaming/VR training prototype and an implementation plan to improve aviation safety training.
This project could continue into a Phase II. Work in this phase would include development of a simulated training environment system (on-site high resolution simulator with sound, VR), off-site modules for training updates, and on-line and device (smart-phone, tablet) modules that allow for training/skill improvement at any location.