Project ID and Title: AN006 – Air Traffic & Tech Ops JTA Workbooks Database
Project completed June 2018
- PI: Dr. Ellen Bass, Professor and Chair, Department of Health Systems and Sciences Research, College of Nursing & Health Professions; Professor, Department of Information Science, College of Computing & Informatics, Drexel University
- Postdoctoral Researchers: Andrew J. Abbate and Carl Pankok, Drexel University
- Evaluation Contributors: Luke Stacks, John Stillings
- FAA Sponsor: Luis Ramirez, Technical Training (AJI-2)
- FAA Technical Monitor: John Stillings
The FAA has a need to be able to query the FAA air traffic and technical operations job task analysis (JTA) data. These data are currently stored in a set of Excel workbook files that have multiple tabs. The team will design, implement, and test a proof of concept Microsoft Access database and will deliver the database, user documentation, and test data. FAA analysts will participate in a prototype evaluation.
Expected Project Outcomes:
- A Microsoft Access 2013 database of FAA air traffic and technical operations job task analysis (JTA) data. It will input the contents of the existing JTA data that are stored within Excel workbook files that have been provided to the Drexel University team.
- A method for modifying existing data in the database.
- A method for loading data into the database.
- A graphical user interface to support queries of the data in the Microsoft Access 2013 database.
- A graphical user interface to support output of the data in the Microsoft Access 2013 database to reports in csv files.
- A user manual for the Microsoft Access 2013 database.
Value of Research:
New and existing JTA data must be stored, maintained, and queried as the job tasks of FAA personnel evolve. A database system will facilitate utilization of these data in the design of training systems, processes, and procedures.
This research will:
- Improve training content by identifying job tasks that are critical to training and performance of ATC and Tech Ops personnel
- Enhance efficiency by reducing the manual effort to maintain and to query JTA data
Quad Chart and Technical Posters:
AN006 Final Report
Dr. Ellen Bass discusses the goals and value of the project.
Example view of the database.